Wine Spectator 90 points - A dark, succulent red, exuding black cherry, blackberry and violet aromas and flavors. Pure and focused, with a long aftertaste of sweet fruit, flowers and spice. Drink now through 2016. 4,250 cases imported. From Italy.
-Bruce Sanderson (Jan 28 2013)
Top 100 WS 100 points - A dark, succulent red, exuding black cherry, blackberry and violet aromas and flavors. Pure and focused, with a long aftertaste of sweet fruit, flowers and spice. Drink now through 2016. 4,250 cases imported. –BS
Rated #66 in Wine Spectator’s 2012 Top 100
The color is a lively and brilliant dark ruby-red. The perfume is fresh and intense with clean scents of wild berries, currants and sour black cherry. A light hint of vanilla and toasted oak. The flavor is warm and robust, full-bodied, pleasant and balanced. This Barbera's sensory attributes make it an outstanding accompaniment for imposing first courses and main-course, meats boiled or roasted.
Blend: 90% Barbera, 10% Dolcetto
Barbera del Monferrato, situated in Italy's north-western Piedmont region, is probably the least known of the three Piedmontese classified Barbera zones. It is the largest of the trio. Most of the wines come from around the province of Alessandria, but the vineyard area also stretches into eastern Asti.
All Barbera del Monferrato wines must comprise at least 85% Barbera, the remaining 15% made up from any combination of Freisa, Grignolino, Dolcetto. The Barbera vine is believed to be native to Piedmont Monferrato hills themselves. The first evidence of this grape appears in a 17th-century document in the city hall of Nizza Monferrato. It was officially mentioned in 1798, in a list of Piedmontese grape varieties drawn up by deputy director of the Agrarian Society of Turin, Count Nuvolone. He described it as "an imposing wine that is always rather severe but richly and exquisitely perfumed and with a flavor that couples strength with finesse"
Classic Barbera del Monferrato wines have a deep ruby hue and a bouquet of ripe plum and cherries, often piqued by a hint of black pepper. They are known for retaining a balanced acidity even in warmer vintages, making them an ideal partner to tomato-based dishes. Barbera-based wines are lower in tannin than those made from Nebbiolo, making them more approachable in their early years.